The Club has been in existence since 1881, and this is confirmed by a cutting from the St. Andrew’s Church magazine which is kept with the Club’s records, but it is probable that cricket was played in Totteridge long before this date.
The actual minute books have been preserved from 1894 onwards, and they make extremely interesting reading. They record that the Rev. W. S. Edgwell was President from 1894 - 1899, and that the cricket field was then known as Mr. Boulton’s field at Copped Hall. In 1900, S.B.Boulton, Esq., later Sir S B Boulton, was elected President, and he continued in office until 1914. It is interesting to note that the minutes of the meeting of the 13th May, 1914, were confirmed on the 25th February, 1920, when the Rev. C Mclaughin presided. The Club did not function during the First World war, but carried out a full programme during the Second World War.
The Club has been indebted to the Vicars of Totteridge who held the office of Treasurer continuously from 1901 - 1927, and we record our thanks to many other public - spirited residents who have ably carried on the affairs of the Club.
The present field has been occupied since 1924, and the Barnet Urban District Council purchased the land just before the War, granting the Club lease which ensures security of tenure for many years. And on a lovely September day in 1959 our new pavilion was opened by Mr. John Warr, Captain of Middlesex C.C.C., during the tea interval of the most enjoyable match against Mr. Bob Gale’s XI.
During 1981 we celebrated our Centenary, the main events being a Dinner at Lord’s, at which the chief guest was Mr. Mike Brearley, and several special matches, including one against M.C.C. and another at Lord’s v. Cross Arrows.
Ron Montague, the archetypal Totteridgean of the modern era, retired from his second office of President and was made Father of the Club in 1999.